The morning after being able to attend the Pete’s Dragon World Premiere, we got to interview the two adorable young stars of the film Oakes Fegley and Oona Laurence. Oakes playes the character Pete, the mysterious 10 year old who’s best friend just happens to be a dragon. Oona plays the character Natalie who along with Grace (Bryce Dallas Howard) and Mr. Meacham (Robert Redford) set out to uncover the truth about Pete and his dragon. When they are not on set, they both like to do everyday kid stuff. Oakes loves to play football and video games, and Ooana likes to hang out with her friends!
Ten Fun Facts About Pete’s Dragon
- Oakes told us that he loved doing the stunts in Pete’s Dragon. They did stunt training before they started filming, so he “felt super safe” and thought it was “really cool.”
- When asked what their favorite part of the movie was, Oona said she loves the entire movie, but she thinks that her favorite part was when Pete said goodbye to Elliot. Oakes said the scene that he said goodbye to Elliot was also one of his favorites. He also really liked the scene when Elliot slid into the cow.
- The Dragon snot in the movie is made out of water and “all sorts of stuff! They put it in something like an airgun and just blasted it us.”- Fegley
- Both Oakes and Oona said that it was tough at first to work with an imaginary character. “It was pretty tough at first because the dragon was a stick with a tennis ball on on the end of it. It was difficult to imagine that it was a dragon, but as time went on we got use to it.” – Laurence. Oakes said it was hard because he was crying and saying goodbye to a tennis ball.
- Oakes reaction when he heard he got the role as Pete, “It was a Disney film, I was like . . . wow! I am incredibly proud of myself. I cannot believe that I got the role, it has been life changing.”
- After several auditions and a chemistry read with each other, they both got the part.
- Pete’s Dragon was filmed in beautiful New Zealand. Oona told us, “There is so much to do in New Zealand. We did all the touristy stuff, and the people were so amazing.”
- “Robert Redford is a legend and really cool. He was funny and nice, and like a father to everybody.” – Oakes
- Oakes had to wear extensions for the role. He grew his hair as long as he could, and then they added the extensions. Once they took them out he said, “My head is so light!”
- What do they want us to takeaway from this film? “Family is very important. You cannot give up on family.”- Oakes
Watch Pete’s Dragon is in theaters today!!
Connect with Pete’s Dragon