This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Universal Pictures, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #BoxtrollsFamilyNite http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
It is not family movie night without popcorn and a fun new movie. So we decided to head to Walmart to pick up the two essential ingredients, The Boxtrolls, just released on Blu Ray and DVD, and a box of Pop Secret 10ct Movie Theatre Butter Popcorn. To make our movie night extra special we decided to make our own Boxtroll named Popcorn! Read on to find out how we made Popcorn and how you can make this fun Boxtroll craft, too!
First, a little bit about The Boxtrolls.
The Boxtrolls is a family event movie from the creators of “Coraline” and “ParaNorman” that introduces audiences to a new breed of family – The Boxtrolls, a community of quirky, mischievous creatures who have lovingly raised an orphaned human boy named Eggs (voiced by Isaac Hempstead-Wright) in the amazing cavernous home they’ve built beneath the streets of Cheesebridge. When the town’s villain, Archibald Snatcher (Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley), comes up with a plot to get rid of the Boxtrolls, Eggs decides to venture above ground, “into the light,” where he meets and teams up with fabulously feisty Winnifred (Elle Fanning). Together, they devise a daring plan to save Eggs’ family. – Directors: Anthony Staachi and Graham Annable
The Boxtrolls was a hit with our 5 year old so we decided to take our family movie night to the next level by making our own quirky Boxtroll named Popcorn. Our Boxtroll craft is not only an adorable creature, but he is also our popcorn box that will be used for many family movie nights to come. Make your own Boxtroll using the steps below.
Boxtroll Craft – Make Your Own Boxtroll
- cardboard box
- Pop Secret 10pack
- 6 cardboard tubes
- Mod Podge
- watercolor paper
- drawing paper
- printables – Boxtroll Face & Boxtroll Hands
- x-acto blade
- Print and then color the printables with whatever you have on hand. Crayons, or colored pencils would work fine, we used watercolor on a cold press watercolor paper. You can also design your own Boxtroll!
- Cut out the hands and face.
- Trace the head on the top of the box.
- Cut the top of the box with an XACTO knife (parents make sure to do this part!) along the line you traced. Then pop the head up and glue the colored face to it.
- Cut 2 of the cardboard rolls with a slice and fold the corners back. Take 2 more and cut at a 45 degree angle to create an elbow. Glue them together. You can use a little tape to hold things together while the glue sets up.
- Cut the remaining 2 rolls into 6 rings about the same size but it isnt critical that they are exactly the same width.
- Gesso or prime the outside of all the cardboard tubes and allow to dry.
- Paint the tubes with watercolors. We used greens, purples, and reds. Paint the toenails on the 6 rings.
- Put a generous amount of Mod Podge around the rim of the arm pieces and glue the hands to the rings then the arms to the cardboard box. Again a little tape will give the glue a chance to dry
- Mod Podge the 6 toes to the bottom of the box
- Cut up the Pop Secret 10 pack. Glue the front of the Pop Secret to the front of the cardboard box. Then cut out the images of popcorn on the rest of the box and glue onto the face for teeth. If you are creating your own Boxtroll, draw a design directly onto the front of the box and color.
- Place a bowl in the top of your Boxtroll and fill it with popcorn.
The last and most important step, enjoy your Boxtroll and popcorn while watching The Boxtrolls!
What is the name of the Boxtroll you want to make?